23 year old Yvonne Foong has neurofibromatosis (NF), a condition that leaves her riddled with tumours. These tumours have made her deaf. New ones now threaten her sight.
Yvonne lives just down the road from me. I'm starting this meme to help her raise funds and to raise awareness about NF.
Yvonne lives in Malaysia. While doctors there can't help, surgeons in the US at St. Vincent Medical Center treated previous tumours that threatened to blind her. They say they can save her sight this time too. Her operation is scheduled between 1 and 4 December 2009. As Yvonne is uninsured, the problem is $$$.
Surgery price is USD44,000 or RM154,770
Stay for both mom and Yvonne at the hospital for two weeks USD915 or RM3219
She has raised about RM10,000 of this and is hoping to raise the rest by republishing her book "I'm not sick; I'm just a bit unwell" in English and Chinese. The books are now available in Malaysian bookshops and from her web site store. She is also selling T-shirts at bazaars and via her web site store.
You can help by buying from Yvonne's online store at http://www.yvonnefoong.com/store.
More details about her surgery are posted at http://www.yvonnefoong.com/donate. Yvonne blogs regularly at http://www.yvonnefoong.com.
You can also help by sending on this meme. If you do, please follow these meme rules:
1. Create a blog entry titled "Meme: Save Yvonne's Sight"
2. List three things you love to see. Add in the picture of Yvonne's book cover. The URL is http://www.yvonnefoong.com/images/banner/my-story.jpg
3. End with the line, "Yvonne Foong is in danger of losing her eyesight thanks to neurofibromatosis (NF). Please find out how you can help her by visiting her blog at http://www.yvonnefoong.com.
4. Tag 5 blog friends. Be sure to copy the rules, OK?
5. If you have a Facebook account, please check out my new invention, a "feme" pronounced FEEM, a meme designed for Facebook here. And if you want to blog about NF, that would be great too!
The three things I love to see best:
1. My cats Au and Target having a wonderful time!
2. My friends having a wonderful time!
3. Supermarkets stocked with lots of interesting stuff. Weird but true.
The people I'm tagging are:
Kareltje en ikke in The Netherlands.
The Fluffies in Malaysia.
Mizzy in Malaysia.
Bibliobuli in Malaysia.
Pelf in Malaysia.