But for features, especially magazine features, writing up a piece for publication is the first step in a long process.
Some of my clients plan a long way ahead; I already have commissions for May 2011. Others adopt a go-as-you can attitude.
If it’s a scheduled publication, I can give an early heads-up. At other times I can make an educated guess. Unfortunately life is never smooth.
Some of the more common reasons for pieces not to appear on time are:
- An extra ad came in, and so the piece was dropped in favour of the incoming $$$.
- A key member of personnel is away, so the piece can’t be laid out, edited etc.
- A key member of personnel is away, so email can’t be accessed.
- An intern puts the submission on the wrong pile, and it gets lost.
- The Internet provider messes up, and a huge batch of email is lost forever in cyberspace.
For some reason the first half of 2010 has been particularly bad for this. So sorry, Meem, Cynthia, Nurliyana, Angelina, Sau Kuan, and everyone else who was hoping to be out by now. I’m told you’ll all be featured within the next two issues. I’m crossing my fingers that it works out that way.